things heard 2013: music edition

I'm finally getting around to my memories of 2013! I was starting to forget...

There's so often a song playing in the canopy of my mind that I might as well have an internal soundtrack to my life. I've come to realize that I consist of 80% music, not water; from day to day, many of my life's moments and emotions are defined by and saturated in rhythm, voices, and melodies. As follows, much of 2013 was reflected in the music I heard and loved. Here's one:

Wicked Game - James Vincent McMorrow


About 45% of the new music I “discover” is from watching TV, usually bad TV. This is no exception. But if there’s good-bad TV, So You Think You Can Dance would be it, and since in my alternate universe life (where polar vortexes don't exist and I always make wise and perfect decisions), I would have become a ballerina instead of a doctor, I not-so-secretly love this show, and I very secretly try to learn the choreography. 

But how could you not? Watch the video above, listen to that beautiful song and watch this exquisite interpretation. 


If your heart doesn't ache a little after watching that, you don't have one. (Doctor says.)

I downloaded this song the next day and listened to it for about 8 hours straight. I kid you not. (I am one of those people who greedily latch on to melodies and suck each nuanced pause and instrumental riff dry until it's memorized in my own veins; a musical vampire.) 

What's more: one day later, while looking for other versions of this song, I realized this song was itself a cover of an 80s song. I still loved it - and given my disdain for the eighties, that means something.

This lovely cover was a gateway drug to the rest of JVM’s beautiful music: lush, lavish, and quiet melodies laced with that touching, broken voice. Undeniably rooted folk, but with some intriguingly r&b touches: addictive, evocative, and extraordinarily harmonic. 

And he has a wonderful new album out: check it out. (spotify/amazon)

Leave reply

Back to Top